One aspect of any country that is quintessential for its smooth working is a properly functioning judiciary substantiated by law and various lawmakers
One aspect of any country that is quintessential for its smooth working is a properly functioning judiciary substantiated by law and various lawmakers and practitioners to uphold the same. Furthermore, the law in general ties into every area of human life, be it business, politics, environment, human rights, international relations, trade, sports, entertainment, etc. In view of this, the law as a field of study and career is an extremely viable option and one with many options to choose from. Moreover, talking about the scope of the law, in today’s era, legal services are required in outlets such as corporate houses, government bodies, law firms, administrative houses, law agencies, administrative services, etc.
Next, having spoken about the job outlook of law, the fields of law that one could work in are also diverse. Due to various alternatives, lawyers can often start work in one domain and relocate to another later during their career. The various fields of law are:
- Media & Entertainment Industry: This industry consists of radio, television, internet, music, films, and various new forms that have allowed the media industry to blossom at a very quick pace. The main law is the Entertainment or Media Law and that is plagued by challenges such as Corporate, Intellectual Property, Finance, Publicity, and Privacy. Furthermore, due to the various intricacies of the industry such as employment law, contract law, labor law, security law, right to privacy, international law, insurance law, etc.
- Criminal Law: Often considered an exhilarating and highly demanding field, this involves advocating for innocents in cases such as rape, murder, theft, etc, and even defending criminals. Additionally, this is an extremely lucrative field due to high-risk and major demand factors. Lastly, it necessitates an understanding of police investigators, court procedures, the Indian Penal Code, 1860, etc.
- Human Rights Law: This field in a striking similarity to the previous is extremely demanding and requires a lot of penance on the lawyer’s end. It involves advocating on behalf of people whose rights are infringed and who need legal advice or relief. Lastly, this requires an individual to be aware of the rights and duties listed in the Constitution and the Code of Criminal Procedure.
- Energy Law: While there are various forms of energy such as coal, natural gas, oil, nuclear, etc, one cannot deny their contribution to the progress of the country’s economy. Essentially, lawyers in this sphere deal with cases that circle taxation, regulatory and environmental compliance, loans, and issues concerning renewable and non-renewable sources of energy. This is essentially the best way to go for people who value environmental awareness and want a career incorporating the same.
- Corporate Law: One of the more popular fields of law in recent years, both the demand and amount of aspirants have increased multifold in the past few decades with the rise of entrepreneurial ventures. Essentially speaking, this deals with the facilitation and management of a business. Hence, it involves a very strong understanding of company policies and contracts built. A corporate lawyer advises companies on agreements, writes up contracts, or negotiates clauses on behalf of clients.
- Environmental Law: It concerns laws relating to air, water, wildlife, biological preservation, and environmental protection. Environmental issues are often governed by underlying constitutional elements and environmental lawyers seek to work for the betterment of natural life either on a freelancing basis or through association with a company. Lastly, this provides opportunities to work in prestigious organizations such as WWF-India or various government agencies.
- Technology Law: Generally speaking, it battles legal issues arising out of the usage of multiple technologies in the different methods used for the dissemination of information. With the rapid diffusion of innovation, this segment is gaining more and more traction and a greater level of requirements. It comprises issues regarding e-commerce, cybercrimes, data protection and privacy laws, surveillance, cloud computing, net neutrality, the internet of things, artificial intelligence, drone technology, cryptocurrency, and blockchain technology.
- Securities Law: A relatively obscure field with vast potential, it concerns itself with investment rules in particular and the financial sector at large. The scope for this industry is also great owing to the large body of security law practitioners that financial firms all over the country have. However, one must be well-versed with the regulations issued by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to succeed in this field.
Next, talking about the basic structure of a law degree, it can be studied at various levels. The first option is to partake in a five-level integrated LLB course at the undergraduate level such as BA LLB, BSc LLB, etc. Another alternative for the same is aspirants pursuing a three-year LLB course if they have already completed graduation in another field. While the basic factors for evaluating a law college remain the same as any other college research, here is a list of a few best colleges and the courses that you should look out for:
- National Law School of India University, Bengaluru
The five-year LLB course offers students training in both legal and non-legal services to provide strong foundational learning or a base for students to choose from amongst various domains of law.
- National Law University, New Delhi
Contains a special five-year integrated course with an in-depth understanding of different laws each semester. For instance, the law of contracts is taught in the second semester, the law of family in the third, and so on.
- National Law University, Jodhpur
A unique feature about this university is its integration of a law degree in a broad capacity and management as well. This is the best for students with an inclination towards security, contract, or technology law areas.
- Gujarat National Law University, Koba
A renowned law school across the country, it includes various programs such as Legal History of India, Law of Tortes, and Interpretation of Statutes to pique student interests alongside the benefit of offering great placements.
- Symbiosis Law School, Pune
Another great law school with multiple foreign placement options involves both five and three-year programs with postgraduate options as well. Furthermore, this offers both basic and advanced courses such as Contract Law and Law of Crimes: Indian Penal Code respectively to build a strong understanding of the subject matter.
- Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad
An extremely dedicated and structured program, this focuses on courses specifically enlisted by the Bar Council of India and involves many research and writing projects to develop students’ academic skills alongside co-curricular activities such as moot courts and essay competitions.
- Faculty of Law, Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi
One of the best programs in the country, this focuses on developing skills gradually through first subjecting students to basic courses such as Sociology and Economy and later transitioning to complex courses such as Conflict of Laws.
Lastly, talking about entry into an undergraduate law program, students must appear for the entrance exam of the college they are planning to seek admission into and in cases of National Law Universities for CLAT as well.